Monday, August 3, 2015

Cooking to Kill

I don't know a great deal about this book, because I don't have a copy yet.  I plan to buy one post-haste.  I began this blog about a year ago with a post on poison so, I thought it was time for another poisonous episode.

Cooking to Kill: The Poison Cook Book was published in 1951 by Peter Pauper Press. Written, tongue-in-cheek, by Ebenezer Murgatroyd and illustrated by Herb Roth, the cook book contains recipes that will knock your socks off.

The title page states:

Comic recipes for the ghoul, cannibal, witch and murderer. Stewing and potting mother-in-law. Tested recipes for spoiled brats, business rivals, and strayed lovers. Cannibal picnic meat. Sure-fire salads. How to make your friends die laughing.

I see that some vintage editions are available on Amazon, so this may be the easiest place to purchase it. Copies also pop up on Ebay. Cooking to Kill doesn't come cheap though, so be prepared.

If you're interested in poisonous recipes, I suggest that you meander over to a previous post from last September on the book How to Cook Children. I believe this book is still in print. It's very amusing and resides on a special stand on my kitchen counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment