Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Hawley Book of the Dead

I just finished reading Chrysler Szarlan's The Hawley Book of the Dead. This is the kind of book I stayed up till 11 pm (I'm usually asleep by 8:30) to finish. Set in New England the story centers around Revelation Dyer who can disappear- literally. I was drawn in from the first sentence.

On the day I killed my husband, the scent of lilacs startled me awake. 

I don't want to give too much away, because the story unfolds beautifully; letting you guess while revealing tidbits of information at the perfect pace. I'll just tell you that you'll want to read this if you liked A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. This is a story about magic, magick, murder, stalking, a government experiment, a spontaneous disappearance of an entire town, and an unusual family history.

This is book one in what looks to be a quartet of stories about Revelation Dyer and her family. I'm looking forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment