Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Beautiful Bat

The Art Nouveau style has always had a special place in my heart. I love the flowing vines, deep colors, mythology, and symbolism. Bats were a popular motif for the style and I wondered why. Although several places said that bats are a symbol of change and this was a time in history filled with change, that didn't feel right to me. Finally, an article in The History Blog about a Tiffany bat lamp reminded me what I already knew. The Victorians were fascinated with Japan and all things Oriental. They adapted many of these design elements into their homes. It was popular enough to be given a name - Japanism (not very clever, but too late now.) In Japanese and Chinese cultures the bat is a symbol of long life and good fortune. Bingo!

The bat makes its way into vases, lamps, wallpaper, and jewelry in the Art Nouveau style- sometimes gloomy, but always graceful. I melt when I see images like these antique bat brooches.

Enamel, Diamond, & Ruby Bat Brooch c.1900 (source)
Silver, Enamel & Seed Pearl Bat Brooch (source)
Silvertone & Blue-Green Glass Stone Bat Brooch (source)
Gold & Diamond Bat and Paste, Enamel & Pearl  Bat (source)
Diamond, Green Garnet, & Enamel Bat (source)

Fortunately, affordable replicas of Art Nouveau bats are everywhere. Still, wouldn't it be nice to own the real thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment