Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Chris Roberts-Antieau

I'm back. First just let me say that if you have the chance to spend Halloween in New Orleans, DO NOT MISS IT! I think it may have been the best trip we ever took. We wandered into many art galleries in the French Quarter where the exhibits were appropriately spooky. I was in awe. I'm going to finish up this week with a few of the artists I saw and remembered (there was a great deal of drinking going on.)

Chris Roberts-Antieau. We'll start here. Roberts-Antieau is a self-taught artist with her own gallery in the French Quarter. That says a lot. I loved everything I saw there. It was whimsical and southern to the core with just the right amount of skeletons to make me happy.
Mermaid with Skeleton Seaweed 
Untitled
Untitled Detail

Shee does do darker things though. At the back of the gallery was a dollhouse where she recreated the murder from Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood." While we were there kids came in to trick-or-treat and were saying "oh! a dollhouse!" Well, not exactly the kind you want your kids playing with. We laughed.

Roberts-Antieau has some past work on her website where she had created snow globes with a dark theme. I think I now have an idea for my own Christmas decorations this year......
Burying Body Parts


Murder on Laundry Day
The Antieau Gallery is located at 927 Royal Street in New Orleans.

(Edit: Thanks to a reader, I was alerted that I had mistakenly mis-gendered the artist! I've made the corrections. My apologies to Chris.)

No comments:

Post a Comment