Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Paper Artist Margarita Fick

Mexican artist Margarita Fick is a self-taught papel picado artist. She began cutting out images at a very young age- four years old they say. I would say she had a calling. I was still trying to figure out how to cut a curve at the age of six. She often works with the theme of death and with Frida Kahlo showing up here and there. Her images are quite stunning and make me want to grab my scissors. With adult coloring books being all the rage, I would think someone would make a papel picado book with images we could cut ourselves. It sounds very relaxing to me. Get on that, people.

Unfortunately, I read a post that Fick is no longer making papel picado due to Parkinson Disease. This is so sad. I hope she can find a way to continue to create beautiful art. Fick's website no longer exists, but there is still a MySpace page with images of her work. Here are some of her past images that I could find.


Untitled
Escanear
Las Rumberas
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment